Friday, December 17, 2010

Last Lit Circle Discussion With A Child Called "It"

    After reading the last paper clip of the story A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer. It still gave my group some curious thoughts about the book. We all agreed that the book didn’t have a finished ending and it made us want to read the next book The Lost Boy, which I already read. In the group discussion, I tried to spoil a little bit about what happened in the next book. It was weird how I read the second one first then the first one.

    After discussing with my group for the third time, I believe we had improved ourselves in expressing our own opinions. I was able to discuss more about the story. Our group members had create more and more ideas for us all to discuss about and it seemed like it flowed more smoothly. This book was a true story and our group was curious about why was his mom so mean to him by abusing him. This led to more and more questions and I was getting confused.

    Our group had mention lots of the scene in the story like the parts where it was told that David’s mother was giving birth to a new son. The story was told that David’s mother and his father had always had argument and it was quoted that his dad wanted to leave the family. We didn’t get how could they get more child although they always have family issues. Our group thought about why would his mom be so mad to David and not to his other brothers. In the beginning, I thought that his mother was only abusing him because he was the youngest however after the parts where it had said he gain two new younger brothers and his mother was loving to them. We turned more confused.

    I started a discussion on how better would David’s life would be if he didn’t have a mother because like his father’s job is a stable job as a firefighter and he could hire babysitters. I believe that anyone would be better than David’s mother. Saber agreed with me that it would be better, however we also placed in some disagreements into this discussions.

    I am proud of my group that we all finished our book and was able to have a good discussion!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment